Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mom and Dad VS The Toenails

Mom and Dad - 0
Toenails - 1

Wow. Who know cutting toenails could be such a horrible, terrifying thing? For some reason, Julia has a complete meltdown when the toenail clippers come out. For about a year, I have been pretending we didn't have this problem and just let them break and fall off (I'm a horrible mother, but you just don't understand how bad it is). But last night, David and I decided that it was time to face the toenail wrath and just make her deal with it. WRONG. First we tried the sneak approach, but she's much too aware for that. The freaking out started immediately. She started crying and screaming at the top of her lungs (fortunately the neighbors are too far away to hear, or there might have been cops involved). Then we tried letting her clip her baby's toenails so she could see that it didn't hurt...nope, not interested. Finally, I held her down and Daddy attempted to cut the toenails. Apparently my two year is stronger than me and kept kicking out of my death grip. We tried the bribe approach, the threaten approach, the beg approach, everything we could think of. After about an hour of torture, both on us and Julia, we gave up. I think maybe one of her toenails actually got clipped.

So, does anybody have any suggestions????? PLEASE?????

4 comments:

Amanda-The Family News! said...

OMG!! I have to do Avery's when he is asleep...toenails and fingernails!!!

Evie's Story said...

If it makes you feel any better, my 9 month old kicks my butt every time I try to give her a breathing treatment:-) They're tough cookies!!

Thank you for your kind note on the blog. Appreciate your prayers and offer of help!!

Ohilda said...

Hmm...I've gotten my little ones to sit still while I tell them that it's eating the "bugga bugga's" (Dora) from under their nails. For some reason, (thank you GOD!) it works.

Ohilda

Stacey said...

Both of my kids had an issue with the toenail clippers. Fingernails - not a problem...they both grew out of it when they reached 4 years old...Good luck! We also did the "let them grow until they break" but during the summer it got quite embarrassing!